Tuesday, May 31, 2011

French Curvy Dresser

For a while there, I was determined to get some organization in my hallway. I originally had some PB cubbies with plastic dollar store baskets that you could see all of my "haven't found a place for" things junk and it was overwhelming to say the least. After reading the 31 Days organization series from The Nester, I was inspired to gain my hallway back using a dresser. I found this on Craigslist listed for $75 after using words in the search engine like "french" and "provincial" and it had 12 drawers! Perfect for my junk. Love those legs...





And after a light sanding and some glossy white spray paint, I had this!
I distressed it lightly afterwards wherever there were paint blobs that didn't even out. Distressing stuff, even lightly, helps take some of the pressure off of being perfect when spraying. Usually I'm doing it on a napping-kids-timeline or kids-touching-my-newly-painted-things-timeline so either way, I don't have forever to be a perfectionist about paint blobs.



Close-up of my thrifted mirror collection. I love the gold and silver ones as is, but I'm not sure what to do with the wooden ones. Any color advice? The big white one is newly painted so I'll keep it that way.




A little twist on a DIY sunburst mirror. I superglued and hotglued old keys on some old Walmart candle holder mirrors I've had for a long time. Superglue worked best by the way.




To the left of the mirrors, above our bedroom doorway, I wanted to show you my Valentines Day present from Adam. He stayed after work a couple nights and welded up our anniversary date, 6-5-04. We celebrate 7 years on Sunday! :)



On the right hand side of the dresser is an old bucket lamp I spray painted cherry red and copied someones idea of their lampshade I found on a blog. All it took was removing the fabric and leaving the wire frame for the more industrial look. I like the funky look of it, but my energy efficient light bulb is not that pretty. I do love the open lighting it offers though in a dark hallway.


I've been working on a few other things including a summer mantle which I'll be posting later so maybe I'll be back in my good blogging graces soon. :)

6 comments:

  1. Yay! I love your blog! I'm so excited. Especially because I can't decide what to do with my mantle for summer, so I will be glad for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. finally......I love how the dresser turned out! Super cute. And I love your #'s too. Good work Ad-man. B~

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're awesome, Nat. I always love your and Adam's DIY work!!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE this! where do you find all of your mirrors? i am SO excited to see everything you've done recently! we need a look at the updated rooms, too! whooohooo :) p.s. do you just use regular spray paint?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the spray paint is nothing more than what you find at Home Depot or Lowes. I'm currently switching the kids bedroom over to prepare for baby #3 so as soon as I do that, you'll be the first to know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looking good, nat.....your mirrors look great, i especially like the keys. r

    ReplyDelete